Saturday, August 7, 2010

SHOES

I knew it wouldn't take much more than the word "SHOES" to get your attention.
What is it about shoes that gets us all excited.  Why will we knock down the person next to us at a sale to grab a pair of shoes, not because we like them all that much, but because someone else looked at them and you can't take the chance that they are cute and you just haven't seen it yet; some things need time to grow on you.

I woke up this morning with shoes on my mind.  Strange? Yes, but there it was plain as day; shoes.  I don't remember dreaming about shoes.  I don't recall seeing any ad's about shoes.  I do recall thinking I'm not gonna let "so and so" walk all over me, but I don't think that could be it.  Why shoes?  There is a possibility I may have put my foot in my mouth recently, but I'm still not sold on that being a solid reason for having shoes on my mind.

As I look back through the years....a long way back, I wonder how many pairs of shoes I've owned.  Does anyone know how many pairs they've owned?  Let's see.....I still have a little white pair of walkers, most likely from before I was walking.  They're terribly scuffed up, but so cute.  I have a red pair of dance shoes I wore when I danced in the Disneyland Parade for the opening of Small World.  I have some old tap shoes, character shoes, ballet shoes, flamenco shoes....there's a theme here.
In my closet you'll find hiking boots (like when was the last time I wore those), Crocks, sandles, sneakers, flip flops (I've learned not to call them thongs anymore), plenty of heeled work shoes, and let us not forget the smashed up, worn out, things I call slippers (Cinderella would be embarrassed for me).  There might be 15 pair of shoes in my closet.  Most of which I don't wear, but there for security sake; I never know when I might need them. 

When was the last time I bought a pair of shoes....WOW! I think it was before going to Hawaii last July.  I bought two pair of sandles.  Prior to that, I don't recall.  Seriously.  I just don't buy shoes anymore.  I make the old ones last.  And style....HA!  What do I know about style?!  There was a time when I was the style queen.  My friend Denise and I would go shoe shopping at one of our favorite stores in the Stonewood mall.  The owner had shoes from everywhere...imported stuff.  Beautiful.  He'd let us put them on layaway, crazy I know, but we did it.  We'd pick four pair, put them on layaway and get them out within a month.  Those were the days!

Why I didn't save some of my shoes, I don't know.  Especially the platforms, they're back in style now.  I actually think I tried to save them.  Before moving into my current house and while cleaning out the old one, I pulled a barrell from the shed.  It was full of my old shoes.  When you move you don't want to take more with you than you absolutely have to so I tossed them.  Such a shame....

Shoes can say so much about a person, can't they?  They actually "tell on" us.  If we're clean, dirty, overweight, stylish, boring, casual, walk to one side, frugal, or lacking in personality.  So was that the reason I was thinking about shoes?  Could be.  I haven't had had much change in my shoe wardrobe for some time now...maybe it's time for a change.

Ok, well, I just justified my reasons for going out and buying a pair.  Hmmm let's see, where can I get the most for my money......................

4 comments:

Bunnym said...

funny you should write about wheat thins...we just polished off two boxes poolside in 4 days in Vegas and asked Eric the same thing..."Are we losing weight by eating these?"...and the shoe thing...all I know is that, the older I get the more flat my heels are...it's all about comfort now.

bun

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh do you remember who had the coolest shoes? Auntie C.!!!! Since I was a little kid, I had a thing with shoes. Unfortunately for me as a kid though, my father wasn't about to spend extra money to get me the latest fashion, so I had to settle for the white bucks from La Cañada shoes in East L.A....you probably aren't familiar 'cause I think your mom was cooler than my dad and probably bought you great shoes! BUT AUNTIE'S SHOES....I never could inherit her shoes because her feet were too small for me! Fun thing these days, I don't own that many, and the ones I do have, I wear them down to a nub. I learned that living with my dad who made me wear my shoes until the cardboard that he replaced ten times on the sole just couldn't last anymore! Ah, the memories of being a Depression survivor's child!

LOVE YOU! Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning! Thank you for coming to visit and stroll down memory lane....Creamsicles were amongst my favorite flavors of summer...oh how darling that Karina has the chance to go run after the ice cream truck....truly a childhood experience not to be missed! Give her a big hug for me...and a big one to you dear cousin! Anita

Rattus Scribus said...

Hi Cus.
I like the look of your blog. You made me laugh about the shoes and the wheat thins. Shoes because I remember moaning before heaven when my parents bought us the infamous WHITE shoes, but then have to admit that at the High School Disney grad night, me and John Malave (remember him?) bought the same humongous platform shoes and tent-wide bell bottoms. When Anita and I started dating, she happened to catch sight of them in my closet and just about freaked.

The wheat thins: what can I say? They are one of those so-called health foods that say: Pssst. Hey bud, come 'ere. I'm whole wheat and reduced fat...BWAH-HA-HA-HA!"

Love
Ruben