Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What a Quack up!

A couple of weeks ago on one of my regularly scheduled days off I walked outside, as I do every morning, work or not.  No work doesn't mean I get to sleep in....well, maybe a little; getting up at 7:00 a.m. as opposed to 4:45 a.m. makes somewhat of a difference but, on the days I stay home I feel it my responsibility to take my daughter and nephew to school since my sister takes them on the days I work.

So on this particular morning although I was able to wake up later, I still walked through the regular routine;  crawl out of bed, head to the bathroom, get dressed, grab keys and head out to the laundry room to unlock the door.

As I'm walking out the front door I spy through my peripheral vision some unusual, low lying movement.  If your first thought was Superman....maybe even Spiderman, please head back on down that road to reality; there is no such thing....okay, okay I admit that was my first thought too. 


After the wave of fear subsided and I managed to get my shoes back on I realized that what I saw was none other than a couple of ducks looking for someplace to chillax, do a little back stroke; take time off from the regular routine.  Just two love birds getting a little R & R.  Where the heck was the rest of the flock anyway? 
I guess even duckies need a little time alone.

I remained frozen thinking any movement would send them flying off to the Hawiian Islands...Next stop: Honolulu!  Not so.  The little buggers hardly gave me a second glance. 
I'm wondering if you think me silly to sound so excited about two little duckies swimming in a pool.  If you don't, I do.  See, for some reason, seeing those little duckies and immediately after thawing out, I created a dialog that went something like (and spoken in a Daffy Duck voice):  Him: Beautiful weather we're having, don't you think luv?  Her: Yeth my darling, juth beautiful.  Him: Then howth about a thwim Thweetheart?  Her: Abtholutely, lead the way dear.

This was not the first time I'd seen ducks up close and personal so I can't use that for an excuse for the exthitment.  No, I think it was just that, since we moved into the apartments, although some very interesting events have taken place with the humannoids around here, I haven't seen anything in the way of animals or pets lately.  The last, say, 12 years we lived with our two dogs and since they're gone and all I have as a replacement are barking tenants (if you hadn't heard that story, read my Apartment Living post) I suppose I'm just a little lonesome for the company of a friend that will listen to me, even when I'm a grouch, and not feel the need to give their 2 cents. 

So!  There you have it.  I might be living 11 miles from the beach or any other large body of water and not expect to see my fine feathered friends in my back yard but apparently ducks are not all that particular of where they take a dip.  As long as they can go for that morning swim, that's all that matters.  Quacks me up! 

8 comments:

Rattus Scribus said...

Dear Marie
I think this is a great story. It's amazing how cute little creatures can brighten our spirits. I get a kick every time little rabbits hang out in our back yard. Growing up in Pico Rivera where there the only animals I'd see were lizards, birds and cock roaches, seeing rabbits and blue jays and cardinals is like wild kingdom.

We miss you.
Love
Ruben

Debbie said...

Awwww! I LOVE DUCKIES! There are millions of them at my place because of the pond. I give them bread crumbs and they love it.

XOXO
Deb

Unknown said...

Hi Bedgie,
Remember all the assorted animals we had in our neighborhood? Between us and Frank we had a real petting zoo. I read your entry about photos and my brother Les has a lot of photos from my mom and Dad, and the Leonard clan is well represented. I will go thru them the next time I am there and send you some. I remember the wonderful pictures your parents had of their family.

Karen

Bunnym said...

Between the possums, raccoons, skunks,squirrels, coyotes AND ducks in my neighborhood, I'm surprised I haven't run into Wild Kingdom host Merl Perkins...

bun

ps. You might wanna chase the ducks away...they miss up the pool big time~

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

MA COUSINE!!!! Oh I am late, but I see my husband got here before I did...he is actually on the road down south with colleagues in ALABAMA, GEORGIA and other southern states. I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOUR STORYTELLING! I hope you are well...I am so tired from this crazy 50 kid classroom this year. Do they really think ONE teacher can deliver quality education to so many? SHEESH! But all is well chez nous...missing you and wishing you could come....Anita

Anonymous said...

Ducks are cool! I like to go to our local park with my grandkids and feed them. The kids always try to catch them :-)

gayle said...

What a way to start your day!! I love seeing wild things!

Rob-bear said...

Wow that's just ducky! Not that it quacks you up, but that you've got a couple of new friends. I hope those Mallards hang around. They'll make good neighbours, and won't be hard to accommodate.
Blessings and Bear hugs.