Sunday, March 8, 2009

Yahhh, ah, ah, aaawn.........who's idea was this time change thingy?

As usual, I went to bed far to late last night. Don't know why I do it, I just do. Sometimes I'm watching TV, reading, or as my friend Norma could tell you, sometimes I'm on the computer. Norma knows because we often have our late night chats about, you know, the ridiculous. Nothing of any substance, just ridiculous chatter.

So I go to bed at 12:30 A.M. this morning (not last night) so if you think about it, due to the time change, I went to bed at 1:30 A.M. Considering I'm 53 (nearly 54) years old and lack of sleep contributes to a number of wretched things (i.e. wrinkles, difficulty focusing & grouchiness), you'd think I'd know better...wouldn't you? But I kept telling myself, as soon as I finish "this" I'll go to bed. "This" as it turns out, is really nothing because "this" is just clicking, reading, clicking, snooping, clicking, watching, clicking typing little meaningless comments. None of which made a great or any, for that matter, difference in my life.

This morning my alarm either did not go off or, I suppose there's a possibility I just turned it off, rolled over and went right back to la, la land.

Around 7:00 A.M., I hear this little voice "Mom? Dad? aren't we going to church today?". Ugh! You know that feeling of panic that hits you when you've overslept and have someplace important to be? Well, it hit.

I jumped up, ran to the bathroom, ran out, looked at the clock, lost my balance, ran back in the bathroom, looked in the mirror and wondered...who the heck is that?!?! Talk about Scary! Seriously...for some reason I always think that first look in the mirror is gonna be....uhmmm.... I don't know.....different! After 53 years, I'm still amazed at how, how, how...unusual I look in the morning...back to the panic. I'm in that state of not awake, not asleep but moving and of course, I'm not going anywhere because I haven't yet gotten a grip. So I stop and think "what would Jesus do"....no! Okay, I didn't think that. I stopped and got my bearings (not sure what that means, but I think I got them).

We got to church at 8:30; a whole hour later than normal and somehow managed to set up and get through a full rehearsal before 10:00 when the doors open. Not sure how, but we did it.

So, now comes the question: Who's idea was this time change thingy? No matter how much we know it's coming, how much the news reminds us, we tell friends, we hear it at church, we tell ourselves, someone, somewhere still wakes up late (or early) and things are screwed up for some one's day. Do you think God planned this time change thing? Was he thinking, "how long will it take them to figure out they have to set the clocks forward (backward)?" Somehow, I just don't think so. I think we're supposed to adjust to the dark or light. Never know! It might be more fun.................

No comments: